World Handicap System
Registration with Golf Ireland
The World Handicap System went live on 2nd November. You should familiar yourself with how this will effect your playing handicap by clicking HERE. You will need to register with Golf Ireland to view your new Handicap Index. The video below will shows you how to register.
The introduction of the World Handicapping System is the largest change to golf handicapping in
over 30 years.
We would now like to outline to you what are the key changes and how it will change
the process of entering and returning a score in a competition.
• All of our golf courses have been rerated to include a Slope Rating and a Course Rating.
• Everyone’s CONGU handicap has changed and we all now have a Handicap Index.
• There are no more point 1’s or cuts of 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 depending on category of golfer.
• Your handicap index will be calculated based on your top 8 scores from your last 20 scores.
• What difference will all this make when we return to play golf?
When a golfer plays a course they are assigned a particular playing handicap for that course essentially
based on how difficult the course is.
• How do I know what my new Handicap Index is?
Your handicap Index can be found on Golf Ireland.
You may have been familiar with the Golfnet website. This site is no longer being updated and
going forward a new site called Golf Ireland will be used. It is necessary that all members
create an account on golf Ireland to view their Handicap Index.
• How to create an account on Golf Ireland.
Log on www.golfireland.ie and create and account. You will need your GUI/ILGU number and your
4 digit pin number to open the account. If you do not know your pin you can contact the Club Office firstname.lastname@example.org and request the pin number.
• For ease of reference we are attaching Downloaded versions of three of the key presentations:
Please take time to read these and understand the changes and the impact it will have on you.
Given COVID-19 restrictions it is not possible to arrange a members information evening to go through these.